Apple Podcasts continues to be the most well known ‘directory’ for podcasts, and so it’s essential that your podcast is properly submitted. This guide will walk you through each step of the process of submitting your podcast RSS feed to the iTunes Store.
We’ll be assuming that you’re using Acast Open for podcast hosting. This process should be similar for other hosts like Podbean or Libsyn.
Requirements to submit podcast to iTunes:
- Correctly formatted RSS feed with title , description , author copyright tags etc. Acast Open—or your podcast hosting service—does this automatically for you.
- Cover art for the show, in the .jpg or .png format, must be square, from 1400 x 1400 pixels minimum to 3000 x 3000 pixels maximum. Acast Open automatically formats your artwork correctly for you. ☺️
- At least one published podcast episode in your show. Many folks choose to create a "trailer" episode, which can be as short as you like, and which can also be removed later once your show goes live.
- The iTunes ID you use needs to be authorized for purchases. To do this, open iTunes desktop app (or download it first if you don't have it). Then log in to your account there or create a new Apple ID.
Is your podcast already listed on Apple Podcasts/iTunes? If so skip step A and proceed directly to step B. Else, start with step A.
- Copy your Acast Open RSS feed URL. Your Acast Open RSS feed URL is something like https://feed.acast.com/public/shows/mypodcast. Here's how to find your podcast RSS feed. Copy it to your clipboard.
- Log in to Apple Podcasts Connect with your Apple ID. If you don’t already have an Apple ID, follow the instructions on that page to create one.
- Hit the plus button (+) to add your RSS feed.
- Enter/paste your RSS feed URL, and hit the Validate button.
- Once that is successful, hit the Submit button.
Congratulations! You're done! Apple will process your feed within 5 business days and let you know if there are any problems.
If your podcast is already on Apple Podcasts/iTunes, it is still a good idea to check that it is correctly configured to fetch your Acast RSS feed.
- If you have just switched to Acast Open and redirected your podcast, then typically your feed in Apple Podcasts will automatically update within 24 hours.
- If you want to expedite this, you can refresh your feed in Apple Podcasts Connect. Log in to Apple Podcasts Connect with your Apple ID, select your show, and click the Refresh Feed button.
How long until my show appears on iTunes?
- According to Apple, it takes 5 business days for them to process new submissions. If this time has passed and your podcast still is not active in Apple Podcasts Connect, then you should contact Apple.
I can't get past the login page for Apple.
- The "login loop" on Apple Podcasts Connect has been a real problem for many podcasters trying to submit their shows. Apple have acknowledged the problem, but problems persist as of Sep 2018.
I'm having other problems
- The iTunes ID you use needs to be authorized for purchases. To do this, open iTunes desktop app (download it first if you don't have it). And log in to your account there or create a new Apple ID.